Congratulations are definitely in order when someone retires.
Generally, people look to retirement with excitement. It’s that moment in life when you no longer have to worry about pressures and stress from work. For many, it is also a time of abundance, with retirement pension coming in.
If someone you know is retiring soon, presenting a retirement card is a way of sharing in the excitement of their big milestone. It is also a way of making them feel appreciated and honored, as well as eager for what lies ahead.
Looking for the right words to express your congratulations?
We’ve created a collection of messages to help you out if you’re at a loss about what to write in a retirement card.
These messages will help convey how you feel, and make your retiring work colleagues or family members feel appreciated.
Retirement Messages for Work Colleagues
If one of your colleagues is retiring, send them off with heartfelt wishes for their happiness. It is also a good idea to offer a compliment or two about their career.
If they ever served as a mentor to you, now is a good time to let them know how much you appreciate their legacy in relation to your own career.
Here are some examples of messages you can write in a retirement card for your colleagues.
“Best wishes on your next adventure!”
2. “It’s been great working with you. Remember to relax and have fun, and avoid anything that resembles work for as long as possible.”
3. “Best wishes for an awesome retirement. Here’s hoping for a fun, rewarding and restful life.”
4. “Having someone like you as a coworker has been no less than a gift. Wishing you a wonderful retired life ahead!! You will be missed, but never forgotten.”
5. “We will miss your wisdom and experience, but most of all, we will miss the encouragement you have been to us. We wish you the happiest of retirements.”
6. “It’s time to get away from the crazy working hours, demanding clients, and high expectations. Enjoy your retirement, my friend.”
8. “You’ve inspired me to always stay passionate. A colleague like you is irreplaceable. Happy retirement, it’s well deserved!”
9. “You can be taken out of the workforce, but the workforce can never be taken out of you. I am confident you’ll never stop working on things you love to do.”
10. “Don’t forget to spend a little of your extra time with us. We’re so happy for you!”
11. “From the beginning you have been an asset for this company, I want you to know you are irreplaceable, and since we would love to retain you, it’s time to let you look into other ventures. Happy retirement!”
“No more targets, no more goals, no more KPIs and no more meetings. All there’s left to do now is to unfurl all the happiness that life has in store. Congratulations on your retirement.”
13. “They say life starts after retirement. May you enjoy what you love doing most as now you have all the time. Best wishes!”
14. “It’s great to see someone retire who is as deserving as you. Make sure you work just as hard at relaxing as you have in your long career.”
15. “Promotion, bonuses, paid leave and insurance – retired life with family will give you perks much bigger than these. Happy retirement.”
16. “You have always dreamed of concentrating on your own project. The time now has come; the time is on your own hands. May you enjoy your retirement! Best wishes!”
17. “You are the kind of person who brings out the best in others! Thank you for everything you did. Wishing you a life full of success and happiness!”
“The countdown has officially ended! You made it! I’m going to miss you very much, especially your positive attitude and everything you’ve done to support me over the years. I wish you a happy retirement full of fun times, relaxation, and many good books!”
19. “Retirement is not about giving up on your dreams, it a time to put everything into practice. It’s a time to enjoy and relax. Farewell, my friend.”
20. “Morning coffees will finally be what they are meant to be – relaxed and de-stressing. Happy retirement.”
Funny Retirement Card Messages
Considering that not all who retire do so voluntarily, humor is one way to diffuse anxious feelings about the next chapter in their life. If you and the retiree are close, a funny card allows you to share a laugh and a heartfelt message.
Here are some examples of funny messages you can include in a retirement card:
21. “Congratulations on becoming the master of doing nothing.”
22. “God retired after just 6 days of creating the heavens and the earth. What took you so long?”
23. “Retirement will be a difficult time for you: no getting up with an alarm, no boring staff meetings, no watching the clock tick down those last, long minutes before quitting time. However will you manage?”
“Welcome to the next stage of your life, where every day is the weekend!”
25. “You’re living proof we can all get out of here alive.”
26. “Best wishes in your retirement. Here’s to watching your grandkids instead of the bottom line.”
27. “Can you say Senior Discount? Hope you enjoy all the perks of retirement.”
28. “Can you believe that finally from now on all days on your calendar are marked as Sunday? Enjoy them and may you always have a smile on your face. Happy retirement.”
“Retirement: Goodbye Tension Hello Pension. We couldn’t be happier for you. So, get your happy on and have a great time. Send postcards when you think of it.”
30. “Remember, with retirement, you can wake up in the morning with zero to do and go to bed having done a mere half of it!”
31. “Leaving so soon? Let the good times roll.”
32. “Now is the time to throw professionalism out the window once and for all.”
33. “When your colleagues give you a watch you know time is no longer of importance. Happy retirement!”
34. “Congratulations on gaining two new best friends upon your retirement. Their names are Bed and Couch. You will be hanging out with them a lot.”
36. “I don’t know why you’re even retiring. You know you won’t be able to keep from working, you workaholic!”
37. “I’m glad you finally retired. Now I can have your job!”
38. “Congratulations! The money is no better in retirement, but the hours sure are.”
39. “You don’t have to remember what you got up for anymore! Have fun in retirement!”
40. “Your retirement brings out a lot of emotions in me, but I’d have to say envy is the biggest one.”
General Retirement Messages and Wishes
Lighthearted messages are always appreciated.
You can remind the recipient of the things they can look forward to during retirement, such as spending more time with their loved ones. If the retiree is someone who is known for his or her dedication to the job, you can also write words of appreciation for all they have done.
Here are examples of lighthearted yet touching messages you can use.
“Well done on climbing the mountain, now you can finally enjoy the view!”
42. “For the person who gave their best: Cheers to your retirement! May you have the best and most fulfilling one. Enjoy!”
43. “Now the fun begins! Congratulations on your retirement!”
44. “May you have a fun and bright chapter ahead of you — one where you will have unlimited time for relaxation. Happy retirement!”
45. “Congratulations are in order. We’re so excited for all the fun memories coming your way, but we’ll miss you when you’re gone!”
46. “You deserve all the best things in this world in your retirement years to come. Have a happy and rocking retirement days!”
“Wishing you a lot of beautiful adventures and happy moments with the ones you love.”
48. “For the dedication and hard work, you deserve the best retirement ever. Enjoy this new journey of your life.”
49. “They say that life starts at 40. But the truth is, it starts on your retirement. When you have the luxury to do all the things you wanted to do. Congratulations on your exciting chapter ahead!”
50. “Wishing you and your family all the best as you enter into a new phase of your life. May you enjoy the extra time that you’ll be spending with them.”
51. “You are real professional who deserved the best. On this retirement day I wish you to be always so positive and loving the life. You are worth it.”
53. “We wish you health and happy days in your retirement.”
54. “Congratulations on a standout career and best wishes for your retirement!”
55. “Retirement doesn’t mean that you’re old. It means that you’ve been working hard enough to deserve a very long vacation. Wishing you a lot of beautiful adventures and happy moments with the ones you love.”
56. “Wishing you all the best as you retire. Knowing you, you’ll still be busy as ever — but at least it will be with things you love doing!”
57. “Cheers to your second act! May it be even more fantastic than the first.”
“You’re a true professional who’s shown by example that excellence is something to aim for every day. You inspire everyone around you to be and do more — and I know that will only continue in your retirement.”
59. “I’m so extremely proud of you for getting over every difficulty and coping with every problem. You’ve finally made it, and now you can take your time to rest. May the happiest time of your life begin.”
60. “Congratulations! I hope you use this opportunity to soak up all the sunshine and fun memories you can!”
61. “Retirement is life’s encore. You’ve put in an awe inspiring performance, and now it’s time to take a bow and get on with the real show.”
62. “Here’s to taking the wide-open years ahead of you and turning them into an adventure!”
A well-chosen quote accompanying your good wishes for the retiree can be as encouraging as a uniquely penned message.
Furthermore, if the relationship between you and the recipient is purely business, a straightforward congratulatory message and a retirement quote may be more appropriate than any of the previous examples.
The following are some words of wisdom related to retirement.
63. “Age is an issue of mind over matter. If you don’t mind, it doesn’t matter.” – Mark Twain
64. “Retirement’s the most wonderful thing. I get to enjoy all the things I never stopped to notice on the way up. After an extraordinary life, it’s time to enjoy my retirement.” – Patrick Macnee
65. “A thriving new beginning can be and should be a time for amazing engagement, growth, connections, contributions, and amazing possibilities.” – Lee M. Brower
66. “Don’t act your age in retirement. Act like the inner young person you have always been.” – J. A. West
67. “Retire from work, but not from life.” – M. K. Soni
There you have it—67 of the best messages you can write in a retirement card.
Retirement is a life event that often brings out mixed emotions in retirees. For some, it is an occasion they’ve been looking forward to for many years. Others, meanwhile, may be dreading it.
Your best gift for a retiring colleague, friend, or family member is the support you can give them during this time, emphasized with a heartfelt message about how exciting the coming days will be.
Need a retirement card so you can pen your message? Check out this post featuring the best funny, sentimental, and joyous retirement cards.
Think the retiree will appreciate a gag gift? Head over to this post for a list of fun retirement gift ideas.